Myotherapy is the evidence based assessment, treatment and rehabilitation of musculoskeletal pain and associated condition *Myotherapy Association Australia.
Musculoskeletal pain does not only mean muscle, bone, ligament and tendon related issues. It can be neuropathic pain from nervous system, joint or due to psychological factors.
Some people think myotherapy is just a type of massage. Although we have quite a few hands-on skills such as myofacial release, cross fibre technique, dry needling, cupping, muscle energy technique, muscle energy technique (autogenic and reciprocal inhibition), joint mobilization…. Others think we are similar to physiotherapy as we sometimes spend a whole session on rehabilitaton, movement and resistance exercise if that is necessary for them to function well.
The other thing we focus on is the pain management and rehabiltation based on biopsychosocial model which means pain is not only from tissue damage but also phychological and social factors such as stress, anxiety, relationship issue and working environment as stress and depression have a huge impact on pain. If people have pain or issues for 5-10 years, the area you have injured is most likely healed biologically. Some people still experience pain after operation to fix what they thought the cause would be.
But why do we still get pain? We help you find out the factors and approach them with.
Myotherapits can treat
- Kinesiophobia (fear related movement)
- Chronic pain ( stress related) etc….
- Nerve entrapment (carpal tunnel syndrome, thoracic outlet syndrome etc…)
- Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)
- Jaw pain
- Shoulder pathologies (shoulder impingement, rotator cuff injury etc…)
- Pain, tightness in upper shoulder and mid shoulder
- Elbow pain (lateral epicondyalgia, biceps tendinopathy)
- Lower back pain
- Disc problem (bulging disc, herniated disc and spodylolisthesis)
- Hip pain
- Rehab for nee injuries (meniscus tear, ACL, MCL, LCL PCL injuries)
- Ankle sprain